How to Enroll In a Nursing School near Holbrook Arizona
Locating the best nursing program near Holbrook AZ may seem like a complicated project, particularly if you don’t know what to search for in a good degree program. As you may presently know, to practice as a registered nurse, you need to receive the appropriate education and training in order to become licensed. So it is essential that you research and measure the qualifications of each school you are thinking about before enrolling in your final choice. The fact is, too many potential students base their determination solely on the price of tuition and the nearness of the school. Choosing the least expensive school or the one that is closest to your residence is probably not the best way to pick a nursing school. There are various essential additional factors to look into before you determine where to attend classes. But before we delve into that checklist, let’s first review what the job of a registered nurse is in our healthcare system, together with the nursing degree choices that are available.
Registered Nurse Job Activities
Registered nurses are the most extensive occupation in the medical care delivery system. RNs practice in a large number of different Holbrook AZ medical environments, such as hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their primary function is to support doctors in the care of their patients. Having said that, the particular duties of a registered nurse will be dependent on their job or area of expertise in addition to where they work. A portion of the responsibilities of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Observing patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Coordinating care
- Supervising LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Informing patients and their families
- Managing health records and charts
Nurses with a more advanced degree may have more high level job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for instance, must hold a Master’s Degree and normally work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can deliver primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat routine illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degree Options
There are multiple degrees offered to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can acquire a qualifying degree in as little as 2 years, or continue on to earn a graduate degree for a total of 6 years. Following are some brief descriptions of the nursing degrees that are offered in the Holbrook AZ area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is generally a 2 year program made available by Arizona community colleges. It preps graduates for an entry level position in nursing in medical centers including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many employ the ADN as an entry into nursing and later earn a more advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) offers more comprehensive training than the ADN. It is normally a 4 year program offered at Arizona colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be allowed to complete an accelerated program based on their past training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might wish to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is usually a two year program after receiving the BSN. The MSN program offers specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or concentrate on administration, management or teaching.
When a graduating student has acquired one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in order to become licensed. Further requirements for licensing can vary from state to state, so make sure to check with the Arizona board of nursing for any state mandates.
Online Nursing Programs
Enrolling in nursing colleges online is becoming a more popular way to obtain training and acquire a nursing degree. Certain schools will require attendance on campus for part of the training, and nearly all programs call for a specific number of clinical rotation hours conducted in a local healthcare center. But since the balance of the training may be accessed online, this alternative may be a more practical solution to finding the time to attend school for some Holbrook AZ students. Pertaining to tuition, some online degree programs are less expensive than other on campus options. Even supplementary expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be lessened, helping to make education more affordable. And a large number of online programs are accredited by organizations such as the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. So if your work and family obligations have left you with little time to work toward your academic goals, maybe an online nursing training program will make it easier to fit a degree into your active schedule.
Things to Ask Nursing Courses
Now that you have decided on which nursing program to pursue, and if to attend your classes on campus or online, you can utilize the following checklist to begin narrowing down your options. As you undoubtedly realize, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges in the Holbrook AZ area and throughout Arizona and the United States. So it is necessary to reduce the number of schools to select from in order that you will have a manageable list. As we earlier mentioned, the site of the school and the expense of tuition are undoubtedly going to be the first two things that you will look at. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So before making your final choice, use the following questions to evaluate how your pick compares to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program in addition to the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting agency. Besides helping ensure that you get a premium education, it may assist in securing financial aid or student loans in Holbrook AZ, which are oftentimes not provided for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for registered nurses differ from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Many states require a specified number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are enrolled in not only delivers a top-notch education, but also prepares you to comply with the minimum licensing standards for Arizona or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Look at internet rating services to see what the evaluations are for each of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews as well. Additionally, contact the Arizona school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can call some Holbrook AZ healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their assessments are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN programs you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also important that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a favorable reputation within the Holbrook AZ medical community, but that it also has the network of relationships to assist students gain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to get experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Almost all nursing degree programs require a specified number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour mandates for licensing too. Find out if the schools have a working relationship with Holbrook AZ hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placement of students in internships.
Looking at Nursing Schools near Holbrook AZ?
Holbrook (Navajo: Tʼiisyaakin) is a city in Navajo County, Arizona, United States. According to the 2010 census, the population of the city was 5,053. The city is the county seat of Navajo County.
The Holbrook area was inhabited first by the Anasazi, then Puebloans, then the Navajo and Apache. In 1540 (some seventy years before Jamestown or the Pilgrims) Coronado searched for the Seven Cities of Cibola and camped some sixty miles east of Holbrook. Coronado sent an expedition west to find the Colorado River, and they crossed the Little Colorado some twenty-five miles east of Holbrook and found a wonderland of colors they named "El Desierto Pintada" - The Painted Desert. The expedition was then led by the Hopis to the Grand Canyon.
After the Mexican–American War ended in 1848 the area was ceded to the United States. From 1851 to 1857 the U.S. Army sent three expeditions along the 35th parallel, the third led by Lt. Beale who created a ten foot wide wagon road. The area was known as Navajo Springs for a spring a dozen miles northeast of Holbrook. Soon after a store and saloon was established at the confluence of the Rio Puerco and Little Colorado Rivers two miles east of Holbrook, and the area became known as Horsehead Crossing.
Choose the Right RN Degree near Holbrook AZ
Choosing the ideal registered nursing school is perhaps the most crucial phase to launching a new career in the medical care industry. There are a number of aspects that you should consider when choosing a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently depending on your current career objectives, lifestyle, and economic status. As we have stressed within this content, it is critical that you choose an RN college and a degree program that are each accredited and have outstanding reputations within the healthcare community. By using our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to develop a short list of schools to select from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your hard work and drive to succeed, you can become a practicing nurse in Holbrook AZ.
More Fabulous Cities in Arizona
Business Results 1 - 10 of 1
Bing: Arizona Nursing Schools Search results
10 Best Nursing Schools in Florida - (2021 Rankings)
About the UF College of Nursing: Florida’s flagship university is the fifth top-rated program in the nation for undergraduate nursing degrees, according to “U.S. News and World Report.” The College of Nursing also consistently ranks in the top 10 percent of graduate nursing programs. With 700 undergraduate students and 370 graduate students, this nursing program is one of the Sunshine ...
Home | Mayo Clinic and Arizona State University
Together, the recognized world leader in patient care, education and research and the nation’s most innovative university are bringing the brightest minds together to accelerate cutting-edge research discoveries, improve patient care through health care innovation, and transform medical education to enhance health outcomes at individual, community and national levels.
Arizona State University (Fulton) - Best Engineering ...
The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering at Arizona State University (Fulton) has a rolling application deadline. The application fee is $70 for U.S. residents and $115 for international students.
Nursing School in Tempe, AZ | BSN Nursing Program
Arizona College of Nursing has earned accreditation from some of the most respected organizations. Attending an accredited school or program can also help you to get a job once you finish school. Click on the link to learn more about our Tempe Nursing School Accreditations and Affiliations .
Continuing Education Courses and Licensing | Western Schools
For over 20 years, both Elite Healthcare and Western Schools have been committed to providing the highest quality continuing education courses with the goal of empowering you, our students. With this shared goal in mind, joining forces just made sense.
Arizona College of Nursing | 9 Nursing-Only Campuses in ...
The CCNE on-site accreditation review for the Arizona College of Nursing BSN Degree Program is scheduled October 18, 19, and 20, 2021. If you would like to submit third-party comments regarding the program, please click the following link to visit our CCNE Review Third-Party Comment page.
Nursing Schools Almanac: The definitive guide to U.S ...
For our 2020 rankings, the research team at Nursing Schools Almanac collected data on over 3,000 nursing schools and campuses throughout the United States. More than 1,800 of the institutions surveyed were public, including community and technical colleges, four-year colleges, and universities. We evaluated each school on three dimensions:
Bachelor of Science in Nursing - University of Arizona ...
The nationally renowned and highly ranked Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. Plus, the College of Nursing is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing and is affiliated with the American Association of Colleges of Nursing and the Western Institute of Nursing.
Nursing Programs Lists | Arizona State Board of Nursing
Arizona State Board of Nursing. 1740 W Adams Street, Suite 2000 Phoenix, AZ 85007 Monday – Friday from 8:00am – 5:00pm, AZ Time. Phone: 602-771-7800
Top 10 Best Nursing Schools in Texas 2021 | Nurse.org
Since then, ACU has grown into one of the top private schools in Texas, and home to a top nursing school in the region. The BSN curriculum structure is meant to create servant-leaders in the community, a great basis for nurses that might want to attend graduate school at some point.