How to Choose a Nursing School near Port Lions Alaska
Finding the right nursing school near Port Lions AK may feel like a complex project, particularly if you have no idea what to look for in a good degree program. As you may presently know, to practice as a registered nurse, you must obtain the proper education and training in order to become licensed. So it is critically important that you research and determine the qualifications of each college you are thinking about before enrolling in your final choice. The fact is, too many future students base their determination entirely on the price of tuition and the distance of the school. Selecting the least expensive program or the one that is local to your residence is undoubtedly not the best way to select a nursing program. There are several important additional things to explore before you determine where to enroll in classes. But before we examine that checklist, let’s first discuss what the role of a registered nurse is in our health system, along with the nursing degree choices that are offered.
Registered Nurse Job Activities
Registered nurses are the largest occupation in the medical delivery system. RNs practice in numerous different Port Lions AK medical settings, namely hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their primary function is to aid doctors in the treatment of their patients. Having said that, the particular duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or area of expertise as well as where they work. A few of the functions of an RN may include:
- Administering medications
- Overseeing patients
- Conducting physical examinations
- Coordinating care
- Supervising LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Educating patients and their families
- Maintaining health records and charts
Nurses with a more advanced degree may have more complex job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), as an example, must hold a Master’s Degree and generally work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can provide primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat common illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degrees Available
There are several degree options available to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must enroll in an accredited school and program. A student can obtain a qualifying degree in as little as two years, or advance to attain a graduate degree for a total of 6 years. Following are some brief explanations of the nursing degrees that are available in the Port Lions AK area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is typically a 2 year program made available by Alaska community colleges. It preps graduates for an entry level job in nursing in medical facilities such as hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many utilize the ADN as an entry into nursing and ultimately obtain a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides more in depth training than the ADN. It is usually a four year program offered at Alaska colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be qualified to complete an accelerated program based on their past training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program may desire to advance to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is typically a two year program after acquiring the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for instance to become a nurse practitioner or concentrate on administration, management or teaching.
After a graduating student has attained one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in order to become licensed. Various other requirements for licensing fluctuate from state to state, so don’t forget to contact the Alaska board of nursing for any state requirements.
Online Nursing Schools
Attending nursing programs online is emerging as a more in demand way to obtain instruction and attain a nursing degree. Some schools will require attending on campus for a component of the training, and nearly all programs require a specified amount of clinical rotation hours conducted in a local healthcare facility. But since the remainder of the training can be accessed online, this alternative may be a more convenient approach to finding the free time to attend school for many Port Lions AK students. Regarding tuition, some online degree programs are less expensive than other on campus choices. Even supplementary expenses such as for commuting and study materials can be reduced, helping to make education more easily affordable. And a large number of online programs are accredited by organizations such as the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. And so if your work and family commitments have left you with very little time to work toward your academic goals, perhaps an online nursing training program will make it easier to fit a degree into your active schedule.
Questions to Ask Nursing Courses
Once you have determined which nursing program to pursue, along with whether to attend your classes on campus or on the web, you can use the following guidelines to begin narrowing down your choices. As you probably realize, there are numerous nursing schools and colleges in the Port Lions AK area and throughout Alaska and the United States. So it is important to lower the number of schools to select from in order that you will have a manageable list. As we previously discussed, the site of the school as well as the expense of tuition are most likely going to be the primary two factors that you will consider. But as we also stressed, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So before making your ultimate choice, use the following questions to evaluate how your pick compares to the field.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program along with the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting organization. Aside from helping ensure that you obtain a premium education, it may help in acquiring financial aid or student loans in Port Lions AK, which are often not provided for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for registered nurses vary from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) along with graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a specific number of clinical hours be completed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are enrolled in not only delivers a top-notch education, but also preps you to comply with the minimum licensing standards for Alaska or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Visit online rating services to see what the evaluations are for each of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews also. In addition, check with the Alaska school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some Port Lions AK healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgements are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN schools you are looking at what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also important that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a favorable reputation within the Port Lions AK medical community, but that it also has the network of contacts to assist students gain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to obtain experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Almost all nursing degree programs require a specified number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour mandates for licensing as well. Find out if the schools have a working relationship with Port Lions AK hospitals, clinics or labs and help with the positioning of students in internships.
Looking at Nursing Schools near Port Lions AK?
Port Lions, Alaska
Port Lions (Masiqsirraq in Alutiiq) is a city located on Kodiak Island in the Kodiak Island Borough of the U.S. state of Alaska. As of the 2010 census, the population of the city was 194, down from 256 in 2000.
Port Lions was built to house the inhabitants of Ag'waneq from the neighboring island of Afognak and Port Wakefield from Raspberry Island, after their villages were destroyed by the Good Friday earthquake in 1964. Port Lions was built with help from the United States government and the Lions Club. It was named in honor of the club.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 10.1 square miles (26 km2), of which, 6.3 square miles (16 km2) of it is land and 3.7 square miles (9.6 km2) of it (36.98%) is water.
Select the Right RN School near Port Lions AK
Deciding on the right registered nursing degree program is perhaps the most critical step to starting a new career in the healthcare field. There are various aspects that you must think about when selecting a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently contingent on your current career goals, obligations, and economic situation. As we have emphasized within this article, it is essential that you choose an RN college and a degree program that are both accredited and have outstanding reputations within the medical community. By using our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to develop a shortlist of schools to pick from so that you can make your final selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your hard work and drive to succeed, you can become a licensed registered nurse in Port Lions AK.
More Fabulous Cities in Alaska
Bing: Alaska Nursing Schools Search results
Nursing Schools in Houston, TX || RegisteredNursing.org
Top Ranked Accredited Nursing Programs in Houston. Listed below are the top nursing schools in Houston based on our RegisteredNursing.org RN program rankings for Texas out of 120 other accredited programs offered in the state:. Chamberlain University - Pearland - #47
2021 Best Nursing Schools Rankings - National & by State ...
See best nursing schools ranked for 2021 nationally and in your state. Find 2, 4 year schools, and community colleges ranked. 500+ nursing programs. ... There's only 1 school offering nursing programs in Alaska: 1- University of Alaska Anchorage School of Nursing, Anchorage; Best nursing schools in Arizona.
Online Nursing Programs & Schools || RegisteredNursing.org
Many schools will require electronic books to be purchased as well as uniforms, stethoscopes, and white nursing shoes or other items needed for clinicals, if required. Online courses require each student to have access to a computer which is fast enough and has enough memory to support the program.
2020 Rankings: The 75 Best Nursing Schools in Texas ...
The university now offers seventy bachelor’s and master’s degree programs. UHV is subdivided into three academic schools, with its nursing program led by the School of Education, Health Professions and Human Development. The RN-to-BSN curriculum is designed for ADN- or diploma-educated nurses who hold an active, unencumbered license.
Nursing Continuing Education - Western Schools
Western Schools offers quality nursing continuing education courses to fulfill CE requirements, maintain your professional license and advance your career.
Higher Education Guide | Nursing School Directory | Nurse.com
HIGHER EDUCATION GUIDE FOR NURSING DEGREES. Take the Next Step in Your Nursing Career. Step out of your comfort zone and start your journey toward your next career milestone. Let us help you get started with our comprehensive content on nursing schools, online nursing programs and more.
Registered Nurse Salary and Job Growth | All Nursing Schools
Alaska non-metropolitan area (Rural areas outside Alaska’s most populous cities: Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau, and Ketchikan) $99,090. ... All Nursing Schools is committed to helping you advance your career and improve your life through education. It's our mission to empower you on your career path by being a trusted resource for information ...
Nursing Schools In Florida For ASN, BSN, MSN, DNP
The nursing program acronyms CNA, LPN, ASN, BSN, MSN, DNP, PhD, etcetera used in our list of Florida nursing schools may differ from the actual title published by the college or university. Nursing schools in Florida and other states, for example, may follow their own traditional degree naming convention, or, attempt to follow a newer naming ...
Nursing CE Membership - Western Schools
Nursing WS365 membership benefits. Imagine a virtual library with hundreds of hours of CE courses covering dozens of topics critical to your nursing career, plus new topics added regularly, and all accessible with a click. The good news? With membership, you don’t have to imagine. Welcome to WS365.
Nursing Schools In Texas For ASN, BSN, MSN, DNP
The nursing program acronyms CNA, LVN, ASN, BSN, MSN, DNP, PhD, etcetera used in our list of Texas nursing schools may differ from the actual title published by the college or university. Nursing schools in Texas and other states, for example, may follow their own traditional degree naming convention, or, attempt to follow a newer naming ...