How to Find the Right Nursing Program near Goodyear Arizona
Searching for the right nursing school near Goodyear AZ may feel like a complicated project, especially if you have no idea what to search for in a good degree program. As you may already understand, in order to practice as a registered nurse, you need to obtain the proper education and training to become licensed. So it is vitally important that you research and determine the qualifications of each program you are contemplating before enrolling in your final choice. The fact is, too many potential students base their selection exclusively on the cost of tuition and the distance of the school. Deciding on the least expensive program or the one that is local to your home is most likely not the most reliable way to pick a nursing college. There are a number of important additional considerations to look into before you determine where to enroll in classes. But before we delve into that checklist, let’s first cover what the role of a registered nurse is in our healthcare system, together with the nursing degree alternatives that are available.
Registered Nurse Job Duties
Registered nurses are the most extensive occupation in the medical delivery system. RNs practice in a large number of different Goodyear AZ medical settings, such as hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their basic duty is to help doctors in the treatment of their patients. However, the particular duties of a registered nurse will be dependent on their job or area of expertise as well as where they work. A few of the duties of an RN may include:
- Administering medications
- Monitoring patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Managing care
- Managing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Instructing patients and their families
- Managing health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more high level job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), as an example, must hold a Master’s Degree and generally work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can provide primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat routine illnesses or injuries.
There are multiple degrees offered to become a registered nurse. And in order to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can acquire a qualifying degree in just 2 years, or advance to attain a graduate degree for a total of 6 years. Following are some brief descriptions of the nursing degrees that are available in the Goodyear AZ area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is typically a two year program made available by Arizona community colleges. It readies graduates for an entry level position in nursing in medical facilities such as hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many employ the ADN as an entry into nursing and subsequently obtain a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides more comprehensive training than the ADN. It is typically a four year program offered at Arizona colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be allowed to complete an accelerated program based on their previous training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might wish to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is usually a 2 year program after obtaining the BSN. The MSN program provides specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
When a graduating student has obtained one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) to become licensed. Other requirements for licensing vary from state to state, so be sure to get in touch with the Arizona board of nursing for any state requirements.
Nursing Online Schools
Attending nursing schools online is emerging as a more favored way to obtain instruction and attain a nursing degree. Some schools will require attendance on campus for a component of the training, and almost all programs call for a certain amount of clinical rotation hours carried out in a local healthcare center. But since the balance of the training can be accessed online, this alternative may be a more accommodating answer to finding the free time to attend college for many Goodyear AZ students. Concerning tuition, many online degree programs are less expensive than other on campus options. Even supplementary expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be lessened, helping to make education more easily affordable. And a large number of online programs are accredited by organizations such as the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. Therefore if your work and family responsibilities have left you with limited time to work toward your academic goals, perhaps an online nursing program will make it more convenient to fit a degree into your hectic schedule.
What to Ask Nursing Schools
Once you have decided on which nursing degree to enroll in, and whether to attend your classes on campus or online, you can use the following guidelines to begin narrowing down your choices. As you undoubtedly realize, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges in the Goodyear AZ area and throughout Arizona and the United States. So it is necessary to reduce the number of schools to choose from so that you will have a workable list. As we previously mentioned, the location of the school as well as the expense of tuition are most likely going to be the primary two things that you will look at. But as we also stressed, they should not be your sole qualifiers. So before making your final choice, use the following questions to see how your pick measures up to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program in addition to the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education recognized accrediting agency. In addition to helping ensure that you receive a quality education, it may help in acquiring financial aid or student loans in Goodyear AZ, which are oftentimes not provided for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for registered nurses are different from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Certain states require a certain number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s essential that the school you are enrolled in not only provides an outstanding education, but also prepares you to satisfy the minimum licensing standards for Arizona or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Visit internet rating services to see what the assessments are for each of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting organizations for their reviews too. Additionally, contact the Arizona school licensing authority to check out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some Goodyear AZ healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their judgements are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN programs you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were dissatisfied with the program and dropped out. It’s also essential that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only confirm that the school has a favorable reputation within the Goodyear AZ medical community, but that it also has the network of contacts to help students obtain a position.
- Internship Programs. The most effective way to acquire experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Virtually all nursing degree programs require a certain number of clinical hours be completed. Various states have minimum clinical hour requirements for licensing as well. Ask if the schools have a working relationship with Goodyear AZ hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placement of students in internships.
Looking at Nursing Schools near Goodyear AZ?
Goodyear (O'odham: Valin Thak) is a city in Maricopa County, Arizona, United States. It is a suburb of Phoenix and at the 2010 census had a population of 65,275, the third fastest-growing city in Arizona between 1990 and 2000. The 2015 population estimate was 79,003.
In 2008, Goodyear won the All-America City Award, sponsored by the National Civic League. The city is named after the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company. The company cultivated extensive farmland here to grow cotton for use in their tires.
Goodyear was established in 1917 with the purchase of 16,000 acres (65 km2) of land by the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company to cultivate cotton for vehicle tire cords. World War II was important to Goodyear in the 1940s as the current Phoenix Goodyear Airport was built, but after the war, the economy suffered. Goodyear became a town on November 19, 1946. At the time, it had 151 homes and 250 apartments, a grocery store, a barber shop, beauty shop and a gas station.
Enroll in the Right RN Program near Goodyear AZ
Choosing the right registered nursing program is potentially the most crucial phase to starting a new career in the healthcare field. There are a number of factors that you must take into account when selecting a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently contingent on your existing career objectives, lifestyle, and financial status. As we have emphasized within this post, it is important that you choose an RN school and a degree program that are each accredited and have excellent reputations within the healthcare community. By using our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a short list of schools to choose from so that you can make your final selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your dedication and drive to succeed, you can become a practicing RN in Goodyear AZ.
More Fabulous Cities in Arizona
Business Results 1 - 10 of 657
Bing: Arizona Nursing Schools Search results
2021 - Best 32 Nursing Schools in Arizona - Rankings for ...
About Nursing Schools in Arizona. In the State of Arizona, nurses are helping to change the face of healthcare. To ensure that they have the best education and preparation for future health care challenges, registered nurses need to graduate from a state-approved associate's degree in nursing or a BSN degree program.. Nurses who graduate from an RN program can obtain certification in over 100 ...
Master of Science for Entry to the Profession of Nursing ...
The University of Arizona College of Nursing is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing, and affiliated with the American Association of Colleges of Nursing and the Western Institute of Nursing. Disclosure Statement: DOE 34 CFR 668.43 (a) (5) (v)
University of Arizona Colleges & Schools | The University ...
Browse our full list of all the colleges and schools the University of Arizona has to offer. ... College of Nursing. o. College of Optical Sciences. p. College of Pharmacy. s. College of Science. ... The University of Arizona Online offers the same degrees you would earn taking traditional classes on campus, with the freedom and autonomy to ...
Nursing Schools and Programs | NursingSchools.com
Accredited Nursing Schools. Our database only includes nursing schools which can save you time sorting through unwanted college and university search results. These nursing schools generally have a physical campus and are accredited on the state, region, or national level.
Welcome to Wildcat Nursing | University of Arizona College ...
Whether you are a prospective student, alumnus or supporter, thank you for your interest in our College of Nursing! As a member of the College for 30 years, I have experienced the exciting growth of our college community through our academic programs, collaborative partnerships, and research initiatives and am excited for what the future holds.
Nursing Programs Lists | Arizona State Board of Nursing
Arizona State Board of Nursing. 1740 W Adams Street, Suite 2000 Phoenix, AZ 85007 Monday – Friday from 8:00am – 5:00pm, AZ Time. Phone: 602-771-7800
Nursing School in Phoenix, Arizona | Chamberlain University
Accredited Nursing Schools in Arizona - Approvals. Are you looking for accredited nursing schools in Arizona? Chamberlain is authorized to operate and grant degrees by the Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education, 1740 W. Adams, Suite 3008, Phoenix, AZ 85007, 602.542.5709.
Nursing Schools In Florida For ASN, BSN, MSN, DNP
The nursing program acronyms CNA, LPN, ASN, BSN, MSN, DNP, PhD, etcetera used in our list of Florida nursing schools may differ from the actual title published by the college or university. Nursing schools in Florida and other states, for example, may follow their own traditional degree naming convention, or, attempt to follow a newer naming ...
7 Best Nursing Schools in Arizona - (2021 Rankings)
Nursing Schools in Arizona - 2021 Rankings The nursing shortage has hit Arizona so hard that policy makers recently drafted a bill to appropriate $50 million from the state’s general fund to try and find solutions to it. That legislation, Senate Bill 1354, is in front of the state senate now.
Nursing | Pima Community College, Tucson, Arizona
Nursing offers some of the most challenging and rewarding work of any profession. Successful nurses must have a strong combination of critical-thinking, communication and organizational skills in order to effectively assess and communicate with patients. They also need to be compassionate and emotionally stable to cope with human suffering, and ...