How to Pick a Nursing College near Piggott Arkansas
Finding the best nursing school near Piggott AR may feel like a challenging undertaking, particularly if you have no idea what to search for in a good degree program. As you may presently know, to practice as a registered nurse, you must receive the necessary education and training in order to become licensed. So it is critically important that you study and determine the qualifications of each college you are contemplating before enrolling in your final choice. The fact is, too many future students base their decision solely on the cost of tuition and the distance of the school. Selecting the least expensive college or the one that is nearest to your home is no doubt not the most reliable way to choose a nursing school. There are several essential additional considerations to explore before you decide where to attend classes. But before we delve into that checklist, let’s first look at what the job of a registered nurse is in our healthcare system, along with the nursing degree choices that are available.
Registered Nurse Job Activities
Registered nurses are the largest occupation in the medical delivery system. RNs practice in many different Piggott AR medical environments, such as hospitals, family practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their primary duty is to support doctors in the treatment of their patients. However, the exact duties of a registered nurse will depend on their job or area of expertise along with where they work. A few of the functions of an RN may include:
- Administering medications
- Overseeing patients
- Conducting physical examinations
- Managing care
- Overseeing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Educating patients and their families
- Maintaining health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more high level job duties and responsibilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for example, must hold a Master’s Degree and often work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can administer primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat routine illnesses or injuries.
There are several degree options available to become a registered nurse. And in order to become an RN, a student must enroll in an accredited school and program. A student can acquire a qualifying degree in as little as two years, or advance to obtain a graduate degree for a total of six years. Following are some short explanations of the nursing degrees that are offered in the Piggott AR area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is generally a 2 year program offered by Arkansas community colleges. It readies graduates for an entry level job in nursing in healthcare facilities including hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many utilize the ADN as an entry into nursing and ultimately earn a higher degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) provides more in depth training than the ADN. It is typically a four year program offered at Arkansas colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be allowed to complete an accelerated program based on their past training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program may desire to advance to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the employment market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is generally a 2 year program after attaining the BSN. The MSN program offers specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or focus on administration, management or teaching.
After a graduating student has attained one of the above degrees, she or he must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in order to become licensed. Other requirements for licensing change from state to state, so don’t forget to contact the Arkansas board of nursing for any state requirements.
Nursing Online Programs
Enrolling in nursing schools online is emerging as a more popular way to obtain training and acquire a nursing degree. Certain schools will require attending on campus for a component of the training, and almost all programs call for a certain amount of clinical rotation hours carried out in a local healthcare facility. But since the rest of the training can be accessed online, this option may be a more convenient answer to finding the free time to attend college for many Piggott AR students. Regarding tuition, many online degree programs are less costly than other on campus options. Even other expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be minimized, helping to make education more affordable. And a large number of online programs are accredited by organizations like the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. So if your job and household responsibilities have left you with very little time to pursue your academic goals, maybe an online nursing training program will make it easier to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
What to Ask Nursing Schools
Once you have decided on which nursing program to enroll in, as well as if to attend your classes on campus or on the web, you can use the following checklist to begin narrowing down your options. As you probably realize, there are many nursing schools and colleges in the Piggott AR area and throughout Arkansas and the United States. So it is important to decrease the number of schools to select from in order that you will have a manageable list. As we already mentioned, the site of the school and the price of tuition are undoubtedly going to be the initial two factors that you will consider. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your ultimate selection, use the following questions to see how your pick measures up to the other programs.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program in addition to the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. Besides helping ensure that you obtain an excellent education, it may help in securing financial aid or student loans in Piggott AR, which are often not provided for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing criteria for registered nurses are different from state to state. In all states, a passing score is needed on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) along with graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a certain number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s imperative that the school you are attending not only provides an excellent education, but also prepares you to meet the minimum licensing requirements for Arkansas or the state where you will be practicing.
- Reputation. Check internet rating companies to see what the evaluations are for each of the schools you are looking into. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews as well. Additionally, contact the Arkansas school licensing authority to find out if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can contact some Piggott AR healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their opinions are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN schools you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to complete their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were displeased with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only verify that the school has a good reputation within the Piggott AR healthcare community, but that it also has the network of contacts to assist students gain employment.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to obtain experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical setting. Essentially all nursing degree programs require a certain number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour prerequisites for licensing as well. Ask if the schools have a working relationship with Piggott AR hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the positioning of students in internships.
Looking at Nursing Schools near Piggott AR?
Piggott is a city in Clay County, Arkansas, United States, one of that county's two seats (Corning is the other). It is the northern terminus of the Arkansas segment of the Crowley's Ridge Parkway, a National Scenic Byway. As of the 2010 census, Piggott's population was 3,849. The town was founded by William N. Barron and named after his sister (Sarah Ann, wife of John Piggott).
Piggott is perhaps best known for its association with American writer and Nobel laureate Ernest Hemingway, whose second wife Pauline Pfeiffer was the daughter of prominent local landowner and businessman Paul Pfeiffer. After meeting and marrying in Paris in the late 1920s, Hemingway and Pauline made frequent and lengthy visits to her parents' home in Piggott, where Ernest Hemingway wrote portions of A Farewell to Arms, and other works. The Pfeiffer House and Carriage House are now preserved as the Hemingway-Pfeiffer Museum and Educational Center, run by Arkansas State University.
The town was mentioned in the 1990s television sitcom Evening Shade, set in Arkansas. The high school football team coached by "Wood Newton" (played by Burt Reynolds) celebrated when it tied Piggott High in a game, which it almost always lost.
Select the Right RN Degree near Piggott AR
Enrolling in the right registered nursing college is perhaps the most critical first step to launching a new career in the health care field. There are a number of variables that you need to think about when picking a nursing school. These aspects will be prioritized differently contingent on your existing career goals, obligations, and economic situation. As we have stressed within this article, it is critical that you choose an RN school and a degree program that are each accredited and have exceptional reputations within the healthcare community. By utilizing our checklist of qualifying questions, you will be able to produce a short list of schools to pick from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the appropriate degree and training, combined with your dedication and drive to succeed, you can become a practicing nurse in Piggott AR.
More Fabulous Cities in Arkansas
Business Results 1 - 10 of 21
Bing: Arkansas Nursing Schools Search results
Online ADN Programs: See Top Schools for Associate Degrees in Nursing
Non-nursing (general education and science-related) required and elective courses are available in either fully online or hybrid formats. Students also complete clinical practice hours at program-approved hospitals and other healthcare facilities in the Phoenix metro area. Program Highlights: Associate of Applied Science in Nursing. Credits: 62-75
Arkansas Academic Standards
Contact Info. Four Capitol Mall Little Rock, AR 72201 Map & Directions. Hours: 8am - 4:30pm M-F Phone: 501-682-4475
Forensic Nursing Programs | Accredited Schools Online
Forensic nursing application. Registered nurses consult with other nurses and physicians to keep members of the medical team abreast of what is happening in a patient’s case. Similarly, forensic nurses consult with other medical professionals, as well as law enforcement and legal personnel. RN SKILL #5. DETAIL ORIENTED. Forensic nursing ...
ARKANSAS STATE BOARD OF NURSING RULES AND REGULATIONS
respective schools. G. FOREIGN EDUCATED NURSES 1. The applicant must present evidence of: a. Graduation from an approved or accredited school of ... and content to that in equivalent Arkansas Board approved nursing programs at the time of application as verified by a credentials review agency. 2-2 . d. State and federal criminal background ...
20 Best Nursing Schools in Illinois – (2022 Rankings)
About the Mennonite College of Nursing: Mennonite College of Nursing got its start in 1919 as the Mennonite Sanitarium Training School for hospital nurses; in 1999, the training school was annexed into the Illinois State University system. Students enrolled in Mennonite’s nursing programs truly get the best of two worlds: While they enjoy all the advantages that a large university can ...
Seven Missouri nursing schools receive $988,121 in state grants
North Central Missouri College ($145,189): Simulation lab resources will be purchased to assist with clinical decision making and judgement. Funds also will be allocated to increase nursing program retention. Research College ($147,712): Expansion of clinical learning experiences will be made possible through new simulation lab resources. Funds will be devoted to expand the nursing program by ...
Online Degree Programs | ONLINE | University of Arkansas
The University of Arkansas offers online degree programs for students seeking a bachelor's, master's, doctorate, or certain certifications. ... These online programs are as unique and different as the academic colleges and schools that developed them. Select the online program that fits you best and discover the requirements needed to earn your ...
ADVA | Arkansas Department of Veterans Affairs
The Arkansas Department of Veterans Affairs serves Arkansas Veterans, and their eligible dependents, through advocacy and education to access state and federal benefits, high-quality long-term nursing care and burial honors.
Nursing Schools Without Prerequisites
In order to qualify for accreditation from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education or the National League for Nursing Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation (), nursing schools must adhere to certain curriculum standards.In addition to nursing classes, these curriculum standards include classes in the sciences, math, and liberal arts.
2022 - Best Nursing Schools in Georgia - RN Careers
The average, the NCLEX passing rate range for Georgia ADN students is between 59.02% and 97.56%.; On average, the NCLEX passing rate range for Georgia BSN students is between 72.34% and 95.99%.; The average annual salary for a registered nurse in Georgia is between $52,080 to $111,220 a year.; Registered Nurses (RN) throughout the country and in Georgia can expect a favorable job growth of 15 ...