How to Choose a Nursing College near Yellville Arkansas
Finding the right nursing college near Yellville AR may feel like a formidable project, particularly if you don’t know what to look for in a good degree program. As you may presently know, to practice as a registered nurse, you need to receive the appropriate education and training to become licensed. So it is essential that you study and measure the qualifications of each program you are contemplating before enrolling in your ultimate choice. Unfortunately, too many future students base their decision exclusively on the cost of tuition and the nearness of the school. Going with the least expensive program or the one that is local to your home is no doubt not the most ideal way to choose a nursing program. There are several key additional things to look into before you make a decision where to enroll in classes. But before we explore that checklist, let’s first review what the job of a registered nurse is in our medical system, along with the nursing degree options that are offered.
Registered Nurse Job Responsibilities
Registered nurses are the largest occupation in the medical care delivery system. RNs practice in a large number of different Yellville AR medical environments, such as hospitals, private practices, outpatient clinics, nursing homes and even schools. Their basic duty is to assist doctors in the care of their patients. However, the particular duties of a registered nurse will be dependent on their job or specialization in addition to where they work. A portion of the functions of an RN may include:
- Providing medications
- Observing patients
- Performing physical examinations
- Coordinating care
- Overseeing LPNs, LVNs and nurse aides
- Instructing patients and their families
- Taking care of health records and charts
Nurses with a higher degree may have more high level job duties and accountabilities. Nurse practitioners (NP), for example, must hold a Master’s Degree and often work more independently than their RN counterparts. They can provide primary or specialty care services, prescribe medications, and diagnose and treat common illnesses or injuries.
Nursing Degrees Available
There is more than one degree option offered to become a registered nurse. And to become an RN, a student must attend an accredited school and program. A student can receive a qualifying degree in as little as 2 years, or advance to achieve a graduate degree for a total of 6 years. Following are some brief summaries of the nursing degrees that are available in the Yellville AR area.
- Associates. The Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) is usually a two year program made available by Arkansas community colleges. It preps graduates for an entry level job in nursing in medical centers such as hospitals, clinics or nursing homes. Many utilize the ADN as an entry into nursing and later achieve a more advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s. The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) supplies more expansive training than the ADN. It is usually a 4 year program offered at Arkansas colleges and universities. Licensed RNs may be qualified to complete an accelerated program based on their previous training or degree and professional experience (RN to BSN). Those applying to the program might want to progress to a clinical or administrative position, or be more competitive in the job market.
- Master’s. The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) is usually a 2 year program after acquiring the BSN. The MSN program offers specialization training, for example to become a nurse practitioner or concentrate on administration, management or teaching.
After a graduating student has obtained one of the above degrees, he or she must pass the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) in order to become licensed. Additional requirements for licensing fluctuate from state to state, so be sure to get in touch with the Arkansas board of nursing for any state mandates.
Online Nursing Classes
Attending nursing schools online is emerging as a more favored way to get training and attain a nursing degree. Certain schools will require attendance on campus for part of the training, and virtually all programs call for a certain number of clinical rotation hours conducted in a local healthcare facility. But since the rest of the training may be accessed online, this method may be a more practical solution to finding the free time to attend school for many Yellville AR students. Pertaining to tuition, some online degree programs are less costly than other on campus alternatives. Even supplemental expenses such as for commuting and study materials may be minimized, helping to make education more affordable. And numerous online programs are accredited by organizations such as the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for BSN and MSN degrees. Therefore if your work and household commitments have left you with little time to work toward your academic goals, it could be that an online nursing training program will make it easier to fit a degree into your busy schedule.
Things to Ask Nursing Degree Programs
Once you have decided on which nursing program to pursue, along with if to attend your classes on campus or on the internet, you can use the following guidelines to begin narrowing down your options. As you undoubtedly realize, there are a large number of nursing schools and colleges in the Yellville AR area and throughout Arkansas and the United States. So it is essential to decrease the number of schools to choose from in order that you will have a manageable list. As we previously pointed out, the site of the school and the cost of tuition are most likely going to be the initial two points that you will take into consideration. But as we also emphasized, they should not be your only qualifiers. So prior to making your ultimate decision, use the following questions to see how your pick compares to the other schools.
- Accreditation. It’s a good idea to make sure that the degree or certificate program as well as the school is accredited by a U.S. Department of Education acknowledged accrediting organization. In addition to helping ensure that you receive an excellent education, it may assist in securing financial aid or student loans in Yellville AR, which are often not available for non-accredited schools.
- Licensing Preparation. Licensing requirements for registered nurses differ from state to state. In all states, a passing score is required on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) as well as graduation from an accredited school. Some states require a specified number of clinical hours be performed, as well as the passing of additional tests. It’s important that the school you are attending not only delivers an exceptional education, but also preps you to meet the minimum licensing requirements for Arkansas or the state where you will be working.
- Reputation. Look at internet rating companies to see what the reviews are for each of the schools you are considering. Ask the accrediting agencies for their reviews also. Also, check with the Arkansas school licensing authority to determine if there are any complaints or compliance issues. Finally, you can call some Yellville AR healthcare organizations you’re interested in working for after graduation and ask what their opinions are of the schools as well.
- Graduation and Job Placement Rates. Find out from the RN colleges you are considering what their graduation rates are as well as how long on average it takes students to finish their programs. A low graduation rate may be an indication that students were unhappy with the program and dropped out. It’s also imperative that the schools have high job placement rates. A high rate will not only substantiate that the school has a favorable reputation within the Yellville AR medical community, but that it also has the network of contacts to assist students attain employment.
- Internship Programs. The most ideal way to obtain experience as a registered nurse is to work in a clinical environment. Essentially all nursing degree programs require a specific number of clinical hours be completed. Many states have minimum clinical hour mandates for licensing as well. Find out if the schools have a working relationship with Yellville AR hospitals, clinics or labs and assist with the placement of students in internships.
Looking at Nursing Schools near Yellville AR?
Yellville is named after Archibald Yell, who was the first member of the United States House of Representatives from Arkansas and the second Governor of Arkansas. He was killed at the Battle of Buena Vista during the Mexican-American War. Yellville existed well before Arkansas became a state, though originally known as Shawneetown.
Marion County was formed in 1836, shortly after statehood. Shawneetown was then renamed Yellville. An old tale claims Archibald Yell offered $50 to do so, but never paid the money. True or not, Governor Yell's descendants heard the story and paid the overdue "bill" several years ago. Yell's name can be seen elsewhere in the state, including Yell County, Arkansas and Archibald Yell Boulevard in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Several biographies of him have been written, the most recent published by the University of Arkansas Press in Fayetteville.
Yellville is located at 36°13′47″N 92°41′7″W / 36.22972°N 92.68528°W / 36.22972; -92.68528 (36.229723, -92.685310). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.5 square miles (6.5 km2).
Pick the Right RN School near Yellville AR
Selecting the ideal registered nursing college is arguably the most important step to launching a new career in the health care field. There are a number of variables that you should consider when choosing a nursing school. These factors will be prioritized differently depending on your current career goals, obligations, and financial status. As we have pointed out in this post, it is essential that you select an RN college and a degree program that are both accredited and have exceptional reputations within the health care community. By using our list of qualifying questions, you will be able to create a short list of schools to pick from so that you can make your ultimate selection. And with the right degree and training, combined with your hard work and drive to succeed, you can become a licensed RN in Yellville AR.
More Fabulous Cities in Arkansas
Business Results 1 - 10 of 5
Bing: Arkansas Nursing Schools Search results
Online ADN Programs: See Top Schools for Associate Degrees in Nursing
Non-nursing (general education and science-related) required and elective courses are available in either fully online or hybrid formats. Students also complete clinical practice hours at program-approved hospitals and other healthcare facilities in the Phoenix metro area. Program Highlights: Associate of Applied Science in Nursing. Credits: 62-75
Arkansas Academic Standards
Contact Info. Four Capitol Mall Little Rock, AR 72201 Map & Directions. Hours: 8am - 4:30pm M-F Phone: 501-682-4475
Forensic Nursing Programs | Accredited Schools Online
Forensic nursing application. Registered nurses consult with other nurses and physicians to keep members of the medical team abreast of what is happening in a patient’s case. Similarly, forensic nurses consult with other medical professionals, as well as law enforcement and legal personnel. RN SKILL #5. DETAIL ORIENTED. Forensic nursing ...
ARKANSAS STATE BOARD OF NURSING RULES AND REGULATIONS
respective schools. G. FOREIGN EDUCATED NURSES 1. The applicant must present evidence of: a. Graduation from an approved or accredited school of ... and content to that in equivalent Arkansas Board approved nursing programs at the time of application as verified by a credentials review agency. 2-2 . d. State and federal criminal background ...
20 Best Nursing Schools in Illinois – (2022 Rankings)
About the Mennonite College of Nursing: Mennonite College of Nursing got its start in 1919 as the Mennonite Sanitarium Training School for hospital nurses; in 1999, the training school was annexed into the Illinois State University system. Students enrolled in Mennonite’s nursing programs truly get the best of two worlds: While they enjoy all the advantages that a large university can ...
Seven Missouri nursing schools receive $988,121 in state grants
North Central Missouri College ($145,189): Simulation lab resources will be purchased to assist with clinical decision making and judgement. Funds also will be allocated to increase nursing program retention. Research College ($147,712): Expansion of clinical learning experiences will be made possible through new simulation lab resources. Funds will be devoted to expand the nursing program by ...
Online Degree Programs | ONLINE | University of Arkansas
The University of Arkansas offers online degree programs for students seeking a bachelor's, master's, doctorate, or certain certifications. ... These online programs are as unique and different as the academic colleges and schools that developed them. Select the online program that fits you best and discover the requirements needed to earn your ...
ADVA | Arkansas Department of Veterans Affairs
The Arkansas Department of Veterans Affairs serves Arkansas Veterans, and their eligible dependents, through advocacy and education to access state and federal benefits, high-quality long-term nursing care and burial honors.
Nursing Schools Without Prerequisites
In order to qualify for accreditation from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education or the National League for Nursing Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation (), nursing schools must adhere to certain curriculum standards.In addition to nursing classes, these curriculum standards include classes in the sciences, math, and liberal arts.
2022 - Best Nursing Schools in Georgia - RN Careers
The average, the NCLEX passing rate range for Georgia ADN students is between 59.02% and 97.56%.; On average, the NCLEX passing rate range for Georgia BSN students is between 72.34% and 95.99%.; The average annual salary for a registered nurse in Georgia is between $52,080 to $111,220 a year.; Registered Nurses (RN) throughout the country and in Georgia can expect a favorable job growth of 15 ...